The Ibiza Preservation Foundation (IPF) works to preserve and protect Ibiza and Formentera’s land and sea. The IPF selects and funds the best environmental and sustainable initiatives, and collaborate with partners to deliver projects. By doing this, future generations can also love and prosper from the islands’ pristine sea, fertile land and exceptional natural beauty.
The IPF was born in 2008 out of concern for the unsustainable development of the islands. Since then, the IPF has:
• Raised more than €1 million in funds
• Supported more than 40 projects
• Stopped oil and gas drilling in the Mediterranean Sea by establishing Alianza Mar Blava
• Gained protection for Posidonia and raised awareness of its importance to our eco system
• Addressed the islands’ water shortage and treatment issues by setting up a Water Alliance
• Helped to preserve Ibiza’s almonds by co-financing an almond-cracking machine and replanting trees
• Commissioned major studies on water, wastewater treatment, carrying capacity and solar energy.
The IPF is now focused on 4 key projects:
IPF Ibiza Produce, a platform to connect farmers, producers, chefs and consumers to increase the consumption of and demand for locally-grown produce. This will strengthen Ibiza’s food production capacity and reinvigorate soils and landscapes.
IPF Sustainability Study, an annually updated study to provide data and monitor trends on key indicators such as water, waste, energy and transport. This will inform local decision making and drive a shift towards sustainability in the development of the island’s infrastructure and use of natural resources.
Posidonia Protection, a project led by marine biologist Manu San Félix that includes mapping meadows to provide a clear picture of their size and state to monitor changes, a free mobile app to guide boat anchoring and a children’s education programme.
Plastic Free Ibiza and Formentera, a movement of more than 18 organisations working together to provide solutions on how to replace, reduce, reuse and recycle plastic with the aim to phase out single-use plastics by 2023.
You can join the IPF as a member to help fund projects that are fundamental to the future health and prosperity of Ibiza and Formentera’s land, sea and community.